Oily skin can be a real torture at times..I have super oily skin ,Yeah ! I keep on cribbing about it every now and then but I am sure many of us suffer from the same problem.. Summers are almost here and that time is not far away when you would see me roaming around here and there with a tissue paper in my hand all the time. We- oily skinned girls literally try out every new skincare and makeup product to get us out of the misery of having an oil slick on our faces everytime..Don’t we? So I thought of sharing an article by Ms. Rupali Chauhan, Course Director-Beauty Department,JD Institute of Fashion Technology on how to deal with oily skin in summers Read on to know the reasons and some easy tips
What is Oily Skin??
Oily skin has a shiny appearance due to overproduction of sebum by the sebaceous glands. While sebum is beneficial for the skin because it acts like a moisturizer, excessive sebum combined with dead skin cells can clog and enlarge the pores, which causes blackheads and acne outbreaks. Excessive oiliness makes the skin look thick, coarse, dull colored and lacking suppleness and tenderness.
Look on the bright side: Oily skin tends to age better and develop fewer wrinkles than dry or normal skin. But it does require more attention, since you need to keep cleansing those over productive pores. The key is a firm but gentle hand. You want to wash away dead skin cells, dirt, and excess oil without scrubbing so hard that you cause irritation. (Ironically, if you overdo the scrubbing, your skin produces even more oil.)
Top Reasons for oily skin and face
- Genetics- is the main cause of an oily skin. When oily skin runs in the family, chances of all family members to have an oily skin are unavoidable. A genetically oily is more likely to include clogged pores and breakouts.
- Overuse use of skin care products for cleansing, exfoliating or scrubbing for a smooth clear skin can also lead to an oily skin.
- Seasonal changes- The level of oil production on the skin increases with the rise of heat and humidity in summer. In winter when the skin becomes dry the skin gets dehydrated and there are chances of excess oil to compensate the loss
- Medications- Hormonal birth control and hormone replacement medications also cause an increase of oil production.
- Hormonal changes in women, during pregnancy, post and pre-menopause can kick sebaceous glands to produce more oil.
- Stress- During stress the body produces more androgen hormones which lead to more oil production.
- Sun tanning- Sun tanning may temporarily dry out the skin, but it actually causes the sebaceous glands to surge production of oil in order to protect the skin’s surface.
Natural beauty tips for oily skin
- Lemon juice: Mix a tablespoon of lemon juice with cold water & massage it on your skin. After ten to fifteen minutes wash it off with a good face wash. This remedy will make your skin oil free.
- Lemon juice, Honey and Milk: Mix a tablespoon of lemon juice with half a spoon of honey & a tablespoon of milk. Apply this paste on your face and leave it on for ten to fifteen minutes before taking washing it off with cold water. This acts as a natural bleaching remedy and also helps in preventing excess oil production on the skin
- Almond Honey Scrub: Blend few almonds with honey. Massage softly (don’t scrub) the paste up on your skin. After 10-15 minutes cleanse your face with cold water.
- Oatmeal & Aloe Vera Scrub: Mix oatmeal with aloe Vera. Rub gently up on your skin. After 10-15 minutes cleanse with water.
- Do not use overhead scrubs, in case you have acne problem, as this can aggravate your currently irritated skin.
- AVOID damp makeups as it directs to clogging up of pores.
- AVOID heavy and oily products that boast of providing nourishment.
- Aloe Vera: Wash your face thoroughly and apply aloevera gel on your face & let it dry. You may refrigerate the gel to get a refreshing and cooling effect. You can apply aloe Vera gel on your face two to three times a day as per your convenience.
- Apple Facial: To convert your oily skin in to glowing skin, peel apple & cut it in to small pieces. Rub these apple pieces on your face. After one hour clean your face with cold water. This will make your skin oil free & glowing.
- Multani mitti: Mix multani mitti also known as fullers earth with water to make a smooth paste.Apply this paste on your oily skin. Wash it off after it dries completely.
- Multani mitti, Lemon or Orange juice extract: Mix one teaspoon of multani mitti with half a tea spoon of lemon or orange juice. Apply this paste on your face & let it dry. After fifteen minutes, wash it off thoroughly.
Vitamins for Oily Skin
- Vitamin A
- B-complex Vitamins
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin E
P.S. Do not start taking everything at once- give it a week or two before you add the next thing so if you have a reaction, you know where it’s coming from .
Hope the article was helpful If you have any tip or trick that works for you , then do not forget to share with all of us Also check out Sindhura’s Blog to read more tips from some of the great beauty bloggers.
Content Credits: Ms. Rupali Chauhan
Image courtesy : Google